Saturday 9 May 2015

HOW TO TRACK YOUR LOST/MISPLACED OR STOLEN ANDROID PHONE


A lot of us treat and respect our phones. Make it look clean on the outside, updated software on the inside, the latest accessories, latest applications and all other things. I’m one of those that treat the device like a being. My phone is my personal assistant, my mini work station and my companion. It would really be painful if I lost my device or if it was stolen.
A friend called me few days ago that her friends phone was stolen, I flipped open my laptop to help her track it but for some reasons, I couldn't successfully track it. What would I gain tracking the phone you say? Wait till you see what I can do after tacking it. There are many ways to track, monitor and secure your android device even when it’s not in your hands. Let’s see how this can be done.
There are a few methods for tracking and monitoring the android device but one comes with so much ease. The android device and android OS belong to google so it would make sense if I told you that you needed Google’s own mail platform to fully use your android device. With a Gmail account, you not only have access to the mail service but a long list of google services and this just brings simple and perfect integration to the front page.
The 1st method is the Android Device Manager.
Android Device Manager (ADM)

The requirements to use this method include:
1.    1.  The device must be connected to your google account
2.  2.    The device must have the Mobile Data on.
3.    3.  You must have authorized ADM to track your phone location in the Google App settings
4.    4.  You must have authorized ADM to lock, wipe or erase your device.
This is web based tracking and requires the installation of NO application.
you can get ADM from Google playstore if you like. get it here .The website is easy to use, you simply visit ADM website at ADM . log-in with your Google account details synced to the device. From here on, you can either make the device RING out for you to know where it is, LOCK the device with a new code, erase it if you don’t want sensitive data falling into the wrong hands. You can also view the location of the phone on the map. This works best when the GPS or location settings of the device is on and the phone is in a good area with good GPS coverage.
This method is still the easiest but has a loophole which I myself can bypass.*not disclosing this* Latest Android operating systems have some sort of KILL SWITCH function embedded in them. So,

 if I was to steal a phone and format the phone, just like the iPhone, it would present me a page to fill in the google account details that was on the phone before it was formatted before I can use the device, nice isn’t it? This has totally discouraged phone theft.

The second method would involve the use of 3rd party applications. Third party in the sense that Goggle itself or your device manufacturer didn't make this app but someone somewhere somehow designed the application. Samsung users can checkout FindMyMobile .The requirements are usually the same. Mobile Data, your google account etc. . Some antivirus programs offer tracking functions. There are loads of tracking software on playstore that you can choose from. The only advantage that these apps over the ADM is that they sometimes have extra features that ADM doesn't have right now. Google might just add them later. These 3rd party apps can relay your last received SMS to you, erase the SD card and best of all, take pictures using the back camera and the front also if the device has one. Android Lost is an app to checkout for all these functions. I’ve not tried it out myself, just making suggestions based on reviews I’ve read so don’t come guns blazing if something doesn't work as expected. A limitation to this 3rd party apps is that some of them don’t function on old android OS but there are some that do work and still offer this services, patience and a little trip down playstore alley and you’d find them.

       I’d make my own findings on a perfect 3rd party app that has the best tracking power to my own definition and review it later on. Till then, keep your phones safe and please, get those tracking arsenals loaded. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment